- Social in the news
- Korean shipwreck
- USAir – SM “growing up” – “honest mistake” – apology tweet – BusinessInsider
- Resource (discuss): I’m a phony. Are you? Scott Hanselman (impostor syndrome)
- Upcoming FB event: April 28
- Our tagboard (are your tweets missing?)
- Humor: Let’s Get Social (YouTube) + backstory (“My cat, my kids, some bacon”)
- Syllabus check in
- Remember to update the Wiki (fyi, I’m screen capturing)
- Pair/share: what were the top three criteria you used to rank desired group projects?
- Reminder: UWSMC in email subject lines – and gmail is primary account | 11 “exciting/STP/GOST” emails rec’d from Ann, Carolyn, Carrie, Gena, Heather, Julie, Kate, Lisa, Makenzie, Maria, Matt
- Google+ : scheduling posts on PAGES (not profiles)
- Reading discussion recap minute papers, session 2 / session 3
- Setting boundaries (saying no, via Patti on FB)
- Accepting challenges (saying yes, via Curt on Minute Paper)
- Daring Greatly to Unlock Your Creativity with Brené Brown (YouTube, 90 minutes)
Case study : United breaks guitars
- AKA crisis communication. There’s a book!
- CSB news story (2009)
- Stock price effect (wikipedia)
- Another resource (OECD)
- What is the role of the social media manager (think back to our circle of roles from two weeks ago) — and who else should be involved in (a) planning and (b) responding?
- Other infamous examples?
- Why do you think the first video went viral? (And what do we mean by that?)
- What options did United have along the way? After the video made the news?
- How might United have anticipated something like this happening? What other types of crisis comm affect airlines?
- What advice (hindsight is 20-20) do we have for organizations — and how do we anticipate “the next big thing”? [where/how to monitor? – what’s only 2-3 years old today that communicators need to be aware of?]
Group projects discussion
(self-selection – how do you want to proceed? If a class member nominated an org but doesn’t work for them, do you think it’s OK for them to be on that team?)
- 2BarSpirits – Twitter/Foursquare – plan to boost engagement w/limited time (includes analysis of these channels and if alternatives should be considered, why)
- ClarionWest – competitive analysis (what channels are similar organizations using and how do we stack up – recommendations for channels and type of content/frequency of posting)
- Mosby Farms – social media plan/competitive analysis with focus on time-management; evaluation of the various platforms with a recommendation for a channel (or two) as well as type of content/frequency of posting
- Charles Sheldon, published author; “The Spear Thrower” is entered in Amazon Breakthrough contest – has a blog but needs to understand how to have a content platform (hub-spoke) that feeds social; he needs a plan for where/what he should share
- Ann > City of Sumner (pitch)
- Jointly create one piece of content that team members will promote, such as podcast/video/white paper/etc
- Our first guest speaker: Kevin Urie (@KevinUrie | LinkedIn | Facebook)
- Tool: Little Bird | Marshall on building your personal brand (recommend you read this) | Solveig on using LB