- Housekeeping/minute papers
- Social in the news
- Reading discussion (short)
- Small group work / personal and group projects
Housekeeping/minute paper summary
- Reminder: please our #UWSMC hashtag to share content relevant to the class
- Check out our Tagboard
- Last week’s audio file, Jenni Hogan (dropbox > click the link and then download)
Social in the news
- The 30 Most Genius Content Marketing Examples of 2014 (So Far)
- Don’t fight flames with flames (NYT)
- How to develop your presence on social media and real life (WSJ)
- FDA readies social media rules for big pharma (Forbes)
- 5 take aways from a successful social media campaign
- Kremlin Twitter-bomb
- Wikipedia and right to be forgotten rule (The Guardian)
- YouTube stars now rate higher than Hollywood celebs among teens:
“the five most influential figures among Americans ages 13-18 are all YouTube faves, eclipsing mainstream celebs including Jennifer Lawrence and Seth Rogen.”
Reddit report (Megan)
Reading discussion (short)
[R]esearchers found a negative correlation between creativity and leadership potential. The employees were assuming that those with more creative ideas were less prepared to be leaders.
Reflect for a moment on a recent project you’ve been involved with. It doesn’t have to be work-related! What are some of the things that team members did to make it a successful/fun/challenging/horrific experience?
Take a few minutes to write about the experience. (By hand preferred – triggers different parts of the brain than a keyboard.)
Now. Here’s how creativity and curiosity are related:
Creativity is “a force in each of us that begins with a yearning to answer an unanswered (or ill-answered) question by imagining more than one correct answer.
What does it mean to you (for you or for others) to think/act/lead creatively? What characteristics do you look for in leaders?
Small group work / personal and group projects
- From last week Twitter:
Discussion: how to find more relevant content to share
- Kathy > I’ll share info on how FB and Twitter picks the image to share – aka Open Graph | Facebook info | Twitter info
- Twitter: What is the best way to flip back and forth between original content and posting and giving credit to content of others? How to find more relevant and influential people to follow (this week)
- Check email for feedback Thursday (color me election-related brain dead)
Twitter: it would be great to workshop a crisis. Let’s choose an incident and practice responding.
- 5 ways to measure PR success
- Do’s and dont’s for PR practitioners
- How McDonald’s ties communications to bottom line
- PR metrics deconfuzzled