Case studies in how social media have been used to manage crises — or be the root cause of a crisis.
Research/in-depth case studies
- Fight Viral With Viral: A Case Study of Domino’s Pizza Crisis Communication Strategies (2012)
Two Domino’s Pizza employees posted videos of adulterated food on YouTube in April 2009. See Domino’s video response.
- Lucasville: What a 20-year-old prison riot can teach us today about crisis communication (2014)
From 1993 (Waco, Southern Ohio Correctional Facility (SOCF) in Lucasville, Ohio)
- Social media and its impact on crisis communication: Case studies of Twitter use in emergency management in Australia and New Zealand (2013)
Analysis of how social media were used during two natural disasters: the January 2011 floods in Brisbane and South-East Queensland in Australia and the February 2011 earthquake in Christchurch, New Zealand.
- Strategic use of YouTube during a national public health crisis: The CDC’s response to the 2009 H1N1 flu epidemic (2012)
In 2009, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) used video on YouTube to educate the public on the H1N1 influenza epidemic. In 2009:
— Twitter was just emerging as a key online medium
— Facebook had more than 200 million users
— YouTube had 100 million viewers
- “The Community is Speaking Loud and Clear”: Susan G. Komen for the Cure, Planned Parenthood, and the Crisis of Public Opinion (2013)
On January 31, 2012, Planned Parenthood announced that the Susan G. Komen for the Cure (foundation) would no longer provide grants to Planned Parenthood for breast cancer screening services. The online community exploded.
- The Role Of Social Media In Crisis Communication – A Case Study Of Starbucks (2013, Master’s Thesis, pdf)
No specific crisis but an analysis of how Starbucks uses social media.
- Buffer’s Response to Hacking: A Study in Social Media Crisis Management (2013)
Buffer is a start-up; it was hacked on a Saturday.
- Regina police suspend Facebook page after “unmanageable” flurry of inflammatory public comments (2013)
Canadian police department responds to an officer’s fatal shooting of a dog over the weekend.
- Sony finally blames ‘external intrusion’ for PlayStation Network outage (2011)
Sony took four days to respond to a PlayStation Network outage.
- The BP Twitter parody that remains unplugged (cNet, 2010)
- How not to use Twitter: HabitatUK as a case study (Social Media Today, 2009)
- Kitchen Aid: Obama tweet (NPR, 2012)
- #McDStories: When a Hashtag Becomes A Bashtag (Forbes, 2012)
- United Breaks Guitars (The Guardian, 2009)
- Social Media Crisis Management: Three Case Studies (Slideshare, 2010)
- Top 10 Aviation Crises Handled Through Social Media (Slideshare, 2012)